"It is not easy to be an official outside the capital. You should be prudent and careful."
“外地的官不容易做,应当谨慎小心些才好。”
The official replied:
那个做官的人回答说:
"Please don't worry. I have prepared 100 `tall hats',and will present one to each and every person I meet. I'm sure all the local people will be pleased."
“请老师放心,我准备了一百顶高帽子,逢人便送他一顶,管叫地方上人人高兴。”
The teacher said reproachingly:
老师生气地说:
"We are all honest gentlemen. How can you do that?"
“我们都是正人君子,怎么可以这样做呢?”
The official pretended he had no way out and said:
那个做官的人装着无可奈何的样子说:
"Very few people under heaven are like you who dislike being flattered or presented with tall hats."
“天下不喜欢戴高帽子的人实在太少了啊!像老师您这样的又能有几个呢!”
Hearing this, the teacher was very much pleased. He nodded and said:
老师听了很高兴,点点头说:
"What you said is true, too."
“你讲的也不错!”
After the official said farewell to his teacher and went out, he said to his friend:
那个做官的人告别老师出来后,对朋友说:
"Of my 100 `tall hats',now only 99 are left."
“我的一百顶高帽子,现在只剩下九十九顶了!”